How to Make a Torta (Mexican Sandwich)
From your 4-Wheel Drive/SUVs Guide
A torta is a very hearty sandwich, somewhat similar to a hoagy or submarine in the United States -- but with typical Mexican ingredients. Try it -- you'll like it!
3 - 5 minutes
- If you're using bread from a French or Italian loaf, cut off a piece about six inches long. Cut the bread half lengthwise, and scoop out the soft part of the bread from inside the loaf and discard it.
- Spread a thin layer of refried beans over the bottom half of the bread. Spread a little cream on the top half, and smear a couple tablespoons of avocado over this. Press down so that it sticks to the bread.
- Layer the slices of ham and cheese over the lower bread half. (If you prefer, you can omit the ham and use frankfurters - sliced lengthwise -- instead.)
- Lay the thinly sliced onion and the chili peppers on top of the ham and cheese slices.
- Place the top half on the sandwich, and press down lightly. Cut torta in half, if desired, to make it easier to pick up and eat.
- Wrap a napkin around the torta so that it won't fall apart as you eat it. Enjoy!
- Mexicans use a bread made especially for this -- bolillo or telera. You can substitute a long loaf of French or Italian white bread.
- If you don't have any heavy cream on hand, use softened butter instead.
- If desired, lightly toast the bread before adding the other ingredients; then grill the whole sandwich slightly before you eat it.
What You Need:
More How To's from your Guide to 4-Wheel Drive/SUVs
Put this How To on your PDA!